Thursday, December 30, 2010

R(in)R#3- Do Not Fear The "What If's..."

This will be my last post until after New Years, since I will be heading to the eastern shore with friends and family for just a couple days.
But I thought I would share my last resolution from 2010 that has played out up until the very last days of the year.

I will admit, I love being spontaneous. 
I have grown to love doing new and exciting things...JUST BECAUSE I WANT TO!
(See first post: "R(in)R#1- Try Something New)

But at the end of 2009, I realized that I had a hard time with committing to certain people, making permanent plans to add to my agenda. I always anticipated the unexpected, never wanting to know what was coming next. And while I can admit, it has been fun and ok for a while... 
I've realized that living in this world requires you to start making plans and not being afraid of what will come out of them...
I had to start making promises to others and yourself that you must keep.
I was always so caught up in the "What If's"of my actions and decisions...
One of these plans/risks from this previous year included making plans for a concert three months in advance. I had no idea where I would be living in July when we bought these tickets to a Train/John Mayer concert back in March. I didn't know if the weather would hold up for lawn seats, I couldn't tell you what I'd be doing in the days leading up to the concert...But through a little anxiety and hesitation, we bought those tickets and I kept to that plan...
 Even through the rain and mud that ended up being our seats, we stayed at that concert and rocked out! And you know what?! I wouldn't trade that night with some of my amazing friends and my favorite bands for anything in the world.
Also, I applied for multiple jobs. Some I literally failed at. Some I excelled. But overlooking the "What If I Fail..." I was able to gain experience and friends that I wouldn't have made if I didn't try at all... 
Just recently I've had to go through so much thinking, asking "What If" about little details, about choices I know effect not only me, but other people. And I realize through the experiences listed and those that will remain unsaid, that I have to follow through. I'll admit, I have had the hardest time keeping to this resolution... I have learned by taking chances and trusting that the outcome of every situation, decision, and relationship is much greater than any control I thought I could maintain. 

 I know that going into 2011, I will continue to try and keep this resolution going. At times I will not be able to conquer it with flying colors, but I will try my best.
I have made a decision here in the past week that overcomes one of the greatest "What If's" I have had to encounter in several years. And I know that whatever happens, it's for the best.
I have agreed to stop looking at the "What If's" and replacing them with "Why Not?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive