Tuesday, December 28, 2010

R(in)R#1- Try Something New

I knew that I wanted this year to be good, and I knew for that to happen, that meant trying something new. Something different than anything I had experienced in the last year. This may not sound like a very good resolution due to it's ambiguity and simplicity, but one that may be too easily accomplished. Throughout the year, this resolution made me realize that sometimes the simple goals that we reach towards may bring us the greatest fulfillment.

Something New #1: Complete my first Triathlon. 

For five years I ran. Just ran track. Never even considered combining it with biking, let alone swimming. But thanks to the support of friends and family, I bought a road bike and goggles, and traveled to Charlotte this summer for my first Tri! 
(And it won't be my last!)

Try Something New#2: Live away from home for the first time in the summer
This summer, I spent my time taking classes at school in North Carolina. It was the first time living away from home and it honestly was a tough decision to do so. But it was worth it. I met some amazing new friends, grew closer to existing ones, and got an incredible opportunity to work with some incredible children (Look ahead to #3)

Something New #3- Work With Children
I will be nothing less than honest: I have always loved watching children grow and learn... From Afar.
I never truly took the time to listen  to them, to really spend a day interacting with them until I got the job as a Camp Counselor at Myrtle Grove's Youth Christian Athletic camp. Going into it, I was scared to death. 
"What if these kids don't like me?"
"What if I don't know how to handle them and their questions?" 
But I knew that trying something new also meant jumping out of my comfort zone, so I decided to take the leap.
And I know that it was one of the best decisions I could have ever made.

Other "Something New"s include: Create my first life size snowman, sing karaoke in front of a real live audience, and starting THIS VERY BLOG ;)

I hope some of these inspire you to go into the new year with the desire to
"Try Something New"
Because once you try something new...try something out of your comfort zone, you'll wonder why you never tried to do it before...

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on accomplishing so many new and fun things this year. And YAY for you starting this blog :)
    Hope you had a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and you're an amazing blogger indeed, must be that COM major in you! <3

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive