Friday, September 27, 2013

A Runner's Prayer

Dear Lord...
Thank you for waking me with a starry sky
a promise that you're watching with a twinkling eye
as my feet are lifted to the floor
place my shoes on my feet and head out the door
Thank you for the crisp September air
and the subtle breeze that catches in my blonde hair
thank you for the friends that bring a smile to my face
and a painfree body for this 70 mile race
Thank you for comforting our restless nerves
a grace in which not one of us deserves
you place your hands on our wheels until we park at the start
and press your ear to my chest to keep my steady heart
Thank you for the dew, and the foggy sunrise scene
for my teammates and I to run into at a time so obscene
thank you for the silence and the cricket churps too
the hills and the hurdles that we all had to work through
Thank you for my muscles, stretched and warmed up for strength
and for removing my mind of worry, doubt, and angst.
Thank you for family and their encouraging words
and thanks for the humming of insects, the chirping of birds
Thank you for each breath: whether short, sharp, or deep
that carried us up and down bridges, slippery and steep
Thank you for headlights, reflecting vests so bright
and getting us through the 77 miles all alright!
Thank you lord for my teammates, for our competetors too
and we all survived the madness that is this sport that we do
and as I lay my head down at the end of the night
I say this runner's prayer and turn out the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive