Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hit the ground runnin'

After two weeks off of running due to a grade 3 ankle sprain, my legs were getting so antsy that sometimes I woke up at night with them twitching and needing to be moved.

Restless leg syndrome, we meet again...

Two Tuesdays ago, while running around in the twilight of morning, I sprained my ankle. I fell off of the concrete trying to save an infant child, crossing the street from a runaway truck barreling down the highway strait towards us while looking at my ipod trying to find a Ke$ha song.


The doctor warned me not to get back into the saddle before my ankle looked completely normal without bruising and swelling, but I couldn't help it. The weather cleared up from a stormy morning, the temperature rested right around 75 and the humidity was low. In other words, to this runner's mind, the atmosphere was whispering "perfection".

I laced up my new Brooke Ghost 5's and put on my compression socks. Whether these gave me any kind of stability, I won't know.

But getting back to the pavement felt so good, I decided to run 4 miles instead of my originally planned 3. Although my ankle was a bit more tender after the run, a brief RICE session brought the comfort level back to normal.

This is a good sign considering I'll be running this little relay in the fall... Bring it on, ankle! Can't hold us down!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive