Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Gluten-Free Coconut Kisses

I like dessert... Ok, I LOVE dessert. Put anything chocolate in front of me and I'll eat it inhale it. Which is what made lent so hard!

 
But after giving up gluten for lent as well, I found that coming back to wheat, barley, and rye was not only difficult... it was painful! Any type of gluten product that I ate- including Oreos, salad dressings containing soy, crackers, etc...- I found the after-effects to follow. 
(Want to learn more about gluten intolerance effects on the body? Go HERE)

But I couldn't let this get in the way of my love for baking. In fact, it's pretty simple to swap ingredients containing gluten with those that don't- ie using almond flour or corn meal instead of your typical flour blend. 



I also jumped on the coconut-oil train because it is super healthy, versatile, and tasty! You can buy a large jar at Trader Joe's for $6 and it should last you anywhere between 2-3 months! 

Anywho! With my sweet tooth calling, I answered with these sweet little morsels that were easy as pie... or cookies...

Coconut Kisses

Ingredients-
1-1/2 Cups Pamela's baking mix
1/4 cup coconut oil- melted
1/4 cup agave nectar or pure maple syrup
1/8 tsp baking soda
sprinkle salt

Preheat oven to 350. Using a fork, mix all ingredients together until no dry flour is remaining. Make sure all clumps from coconut oil have been pressed out. Place loose dough into fridge for 10 minutes to slightly chill. Take out dough (will be crumbly) and press into small balls- rolling between palms. Press on parchment paper- abut the size of small kiwis. Put in heated oven and bake for 9-10 minutes.
Take out and enjoy *awesome when warm*

Take these kisses for a spin! They're delicate but sweet and flavorful- may I suggest with a cup of vanilla chai? MmmmMmmmm!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive