Saturday, February 16, 2013

Chocolate&Gluten-Free Lent! Day 3

It's day 3 of lent and that means the third day without ANY chocolate or gluten products. When I set these rules for my 40 days of lent, I wanted to choose things that I knew were going to be a challenge. And while eating a chocolate donut, I realized what I needed to do...

So far, it has not been too shady. Just taking more time to read the labels to make sure no sneaky wheat/gluten ingredients were used in making the food I am consuming. Thank goodness for Trader Joe's gluten free breads and protein powders, I have been able to still make tuna fish sandwiches with only natural tuna fish, organic mustard, jalapeno salsa, and veggies for my take-to-work lunches. I've also been enjoying more salads topped with seared fish or white bean soup with quinoa.

 I have also been able to have tasty desserts like peanut butter and honey on race cakes and gluten-free frozen yogurt .

But this morning, I ran into a terrible craving for pancakes... and since it is hard to think "pancakes" without the fluffy flour that makes up these breakfast staples, I had to be creative... So I came up with this recipe to suffice... And it was no compromise. Just a tasty alternative!

GLUTEN-FREE VANILLA PROTEIN PANCAKES 
...WITH PEANUT BUTTER TOPPING

Ingredients-
Pancakes:
3 Egg Whites
1 Tbs Chia Seeds
2 Scoops Vanilla Raw Protein- Whole Foods
1 Tbs Almond milk- unsweetend
1 (mashed) Banana
Peanut Butter Topping:
1 Tbs Natural, Organic Peanut Butter
1/4 cup Fage 0% Greek Yogurt

Combine PB and yogurt into a small dish. Set aside.
Combine all pancake ingredients into a large bowl. Mash banana into the egg white mixture until creamy. Heat small skillet on medium high and spray light layer of non-stick cooking spray. Place dollop of mixture on skillet, flip after 2 minutes or until bottom is brown. Repeat. 
Top with PB/yogurt topping and indulge in a healthy pancake breakfast!
(Makes 3-4 small pancakes)
Calories per small pancake w/o topping- about 92
Calories w/ topping- about 120

Happy Weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive