Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bucket List Item... In Progress

So, In case many of you didnt know, I love to write. Sure, I take fiction writing classes, have books upon books about how to produce written film scripts, and have been writing poetry for contests statewide since I was seven... But overall, I just enjoy putting my ideas, stories, and experiences on a simple peice of paper for others to explore (and hopefully enjoy).

So its no wonder that one of the things on my Bucket List is to get something of my own writing published. I recently sent in a poem to a small local publishing committee to be considered for publication in a creative writing magazine. Even though just one poem, and the audience would remain local, I would be ecstatic if I recieved the letter, "Congratulations! Your poem will be published..."
One small step for Man! Wow, sorry for that...

But recently, aside from class assignments, I have been working on a side project. Something that I have had in my mind for quite some time now. First I went on a whim and thought about taking this idea and producing a script for film. I presented my idea to my aunt, an independent film writer in California, who was enthusiastic about my ambition to write such a story. She gave me ideas on how to go about starting, what to keep in mind as far as what the industry has tought her thus far, and of course, personal tips she had learned along the way.

But here I am, almost a year later, and all I have to prove for this "idea" is a ten page outline of the central conflict... Nothing to brag about. So what now?

After a meeting with a respected professor, I was told that this plot of mine had intense potential. "Intense Potential"... I thought just having "potential" was motivating enough, but add "intense", and that takes it to a whole new level.

So, thats where I am now. I have a lot of work to do, but definitely not an impossible task. And with a person to contribute my process to, I have even more reason to get this thing on paper, and fulfil yet another item on the list. I will keep you updated on any progress I make, and you never know! This time next year, You could be reading this "idea" on the back of a book jacket!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive