Friday, July 2, 2010

Something Beautiful: Power Camp 2010

Last week was one of the best weeks of any summer I have ever experienced.


From June 21-June 25, I had the opportunity to be a camp coach at Myrtle Grove's Summer Power Camp: A Christian Based Camp with a Variety of Different Athletics.
We had kids in three separate age groups, ranging
 from age 6-13. At first, going into it, I was extremely nervous.
 I had always convinced myself I was not a "Kids Person"", but I wanted to give it a shot. I was anxious to get to work with these kids and enhance their understanding of Christ, but I foresaw some major challenges that I wasn't sure I could make it through.


But I was wrong about several things. First off, I realized that Children are such a blessing and I could really learn so much from them. 



I was able to sit down with some of my middle schoolers and discuss their lives, their relationship with Christ, and even play some good games of Ultimate Frisbee with em'.



At first, I thought my little guys, 6-7 years old, would be a nightmare, but I grew closest to them by the end of the week. I have plenty of stories I will share that will touch your heart hopefully as much as they have touched mine.


Secondly, there were many challenges I was faced with, such as spills, bumps and bruises, tears and screams, but I quickly learned that these kids grow and learn and even find a smile in their toughest times. I taught two girls how to tie their shoes, learned the intrigue resting behind silly bands, and even learned how to do the "Goosey Dance". All, very necessary in our everyday lives.

Now, to those stories for the heart:

First off, little JD who was six years old, and a ball of fun. He was in our group learning how to do Track/XC. He touched my heart this week with his ever growing curiosity in the Lord, his determination to meet new friends, and play sports that may or may not have been too much for this little guy to handle. He jumped over (sometimes under) full size hurdles, sprinted alongside the big kids, and even gave away his silly bands to two little girls who didn't have any. Even if he didn't know it, God's light was shining through him so brightly, it could be seen for miles and miles.

Secondly, I had a little girl who was also 6. Her name was Esther. Everyday, we held  competitions throughout the gym and if they won, at the end of the day, they got to pick from the prize bin. Thursday, we did wall-sits, which even for me, is most challenging. But this little girl held that wall-sit position for more than 4 minutes, until she was pouring tears onto that gym floor. I told her to stop if she was hurting, but she said she knew she could do it. That little girl won, and when one of our head coaches asked her how she did it, she looked at him with tears in her eyes and said, "I Prayed." This story still gives me chills.



I did not get the chance to witness this last one, but was told this by a fellow coach. In the activity, "Outdoor Adventures", kids got to get harnessed in and climb trees. A small girl was halfway up and wanted to quit, in tears because she was scared of heights. When they offered to lower her, she said, hold on, let me pray. After her prayer, she was able to continue to climb up the tree several more rungs. God's power radiated in that moment.

In closing, I just hope to have touched the tip of the iceberg of how much these kids not only grew in themselves and how much their hearts were able to grow in Christ, but how they have helped me realize the power of Christ in every heart, big and small. 







I know that I will never forget the time I spent with these kids, whether 6 years old, or 12. 














I can only hope that I was able to touch
their hearts half as much as they touched mine, and I know I am so blessed to have had this opportunity.








God is so good, and his power is limitless.  
(Pictures Courtesy of David Kolk, www.facebook.com/myrtlegrove ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive