Monday, May 6, 2013

The Weekend I Needed

Sometimes I feel like the weekend can be one of many things. It can be a period of time to re-connect with friends, staying busy with plans of excitement and outings all over town. They can be a time of rejuvination, away from the stress of having concrete plans and relaxing with the knowledge that nothing is required of you except vacuuming the carpet and grocery shopping.

And sometimes it can be a mixture of both, with a sprinkle of traveling up the I85 corridor to visit friends that aren't always in the day-to-day, trying new restaurants, shooting the breeze with strangers, and enjoying runs in the rain.

This weekend, I traveled to Raleigh for my college roommate's wedding shower, held at Mia Francesca's at North Lake Mall. As we celebrated the soon-to-be Mrs. Torres, we shared stories of our days on the track back in school, where we were headed in our careers (a whole other story) and everything in-between.





While also in Raliegh, I visited my friend Annie who showed me to a relaxing evening watching the Kentucky Derby with Mint Julips, arguing with the bartender about why 90's music is superior to all other forms of sound, and eating breakfast at a hole in the wall diner gold mine.


It was a nice reprieve from the normal weekends I've grown accustomed to here in my new home-town. Coming up around the one year mark of my new residence in Charlotte, I feel as if this weekend served as a great reminder that this journey known as my early twenties is more than just finding a job and existing. It's about making new friendships, maintaining the old, striving for new and exciting opportunities, all while appreciating the moments that make up each day.

It's a difficult task, balancing the new and old, the plans and the unplanned- but I am thankful for weekends like this one that have their own way of whispering through the chaos- "You're right where you're supposed to be."

Happy Monday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive