Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bucket List Item #24. Do a Triathlon

This past weekend, I was able to pull out the ol' Bucket List and cross off yet another item!
I competed in my first Triathlon at Lake Wylie in South Carolina.
I had been training for several weeks, but I had no idea what to expect. I did, however, know that it was something I've always wanted to try, so I just dove into a workout every day, building strength in swimming, biking, and running.

And what a race it was! It started at 7:30am; being placed at the starting line with the other women age 34 and under. The buzzer rang, and we were off. We completed a 750m swim around the sound in the lake, then moved on to a 10 mile bike ride up the bridge and along some rolling hills. Then, finally, we closed with a 5k (3.1 miles) on a rolling hill course.
The run was the most difficult part of the race, legs shaky from so much previous activity, plus the mountains we had to climb to complete this particular course. But in the end, it was all worth it.
My goal going into the race was to finish in under 90min, and so I did! So what if it was only by half a minute! 30 seconds is better than nothing!

The feeling of the rushing adrenaline, the beautiful scenery, the laughs and memories with friends, and the satisfaction of knowing you actually did it. Put all those together, and you have an unforgettable experience you'll keep with you for the rest of your life!

I completed more than just another item on my bucket list. I experienced another great form of competition that I can easily say has left a lasting imprint. I will definitely sign up for another triathlon within the year, you can bet your bottom dollar!

Thanks to all my amazing friends who raced alongside me, for pushing me to enter the event, and keeping the smile on my face all the way to the end. You mean the world to me, and you know who you all are! Congrats on an awesome race to all who competed! (and to those who didn't, I know I've convinced you to try one out for yourself!) ;)
Photos Taken by Liz Rivers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive