Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Ghost's Dinner

I am currently taking Com 245: Communication with the deaf and hard-of-hearing
And I am not stretching any measure of the truth when I say that it may be one of the my favorite communications classes I've taken so far! Not only do we learn about the subculture pertaining with cochlear implants, hearing aids, and the overall concept of disabilities vs. handicaps, but we get to practice basic ASL (American Sign Language)

I have grown up with ASL scattered around the background of my everyday life: my mom is an itinerate teacher for the deaf and hard-of-hearing back home in MD, and recently because she is using more and more ASL due to her hearing loss. She is oh so talented, that mother of mine



This week, we have to take one of our favorite children's books and present it to the class entirely in sign language. So of course, I am going to present, "The Ghost's Dinner" written by French Author: Jacques Duquennoy.



I loved this story growing up because it's all about a group of ghosts who go to a dinner party where they eat (imagine that! Me loving a story about food!) and turn all different colors based on what they have just been served. It's going to be a lot of fun signing the different foods, colors, and names of the ghosts.

If you're interested in ASL, check out ASLpro, an online dictionary with videos to teach you any word in sign that you wish! And then you can impress your friends by signing your favorite story!

Happy Tuesday, Everyone! 

2 comments:

  1. It was one of my favorite courses as well! Defiantly take the next level as well. And if you really need more, consider a DIS with Lanier. You should post your video on here after your presentation! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jordan! I will once I get a copy of the video! Hope you're having a great day :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive